Sunday, 13 October 2013
Here are 3 key facts:
1. Sunday 23rd February 2014 will be the 3rd year of Rotary Global Swimarathon.
2. The crippling disease of Polio is still endemic in 3 countries in the world.
3. Early this year, the Gates foundation announced that it would be match 2:1 all Rotary fundraising for End Polio Now - that means all donations will be tripled $1 = $3
So today with 133 days to go, the Rotary Club of Grantham are proud to announce the official End Polio Now fundraising target for 2014 is all the threes - $333,333 - with the trebling possible that would mean raising $999,999 in just 1 day (and I think we can round that up to a $1million!!)
Three reasons to believe we can achieve this amazing goal?
1. Rotary District 1010 are aiming to have 50 clubs take part and are targeting to raise £100,000 which x 3 = £300,000 or $500K!!
2. Delegates from every club in Rotary District 2980 India are planning to swim during their District conference in Malaysia
3. In 2012 we raised $100,000 in just 1 hour - so how much can we raise in 24 hours!!
And here's the thing - there are now three ways to even non-swimmers to join in - even those without an official organized event
1. Virtual swimming -led by District 3170 Rotarians and clubs around the world can join in a virtual swim where you can donate online and swim in your local pool, your gym, even your bath!
2. Rotary Crocus Flowers - Plans are well advanced to distribute purple silk flowers to clubs around the world, these beautiful flowers which symbolize the purple dye to indicate Polio immunization can be sold for $1 at all the events - perfect for spectators and well-wishers. (please visit http://www.rotarycrocus.com/about-1/partnerships/ for more info)
3. Announcing World's Greatest Meal to End Polio Now
Facebook group here https://www.facebook.com/groups/1462743010619416/ - plan is to get as many clubs as possible to donate at least $1 per person from meals in and around Rotary Week (17th -23rd February 2014), and of course can extend that to meals during the Swim events that the participants and watching crowds enjoy!
So what are you waiting for!
Here's 3 things you can do right now to find out more
1. Follow us on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/rotaryglobeswim
2. Like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/rotaryglobalswimarathon
3. Visit our website and register your club http://www.rotaryglobalswimarathon.org
Together we can End Polio Now - 3 words that mean the world to us all!